Saturday, November 2, 2013

Homes that I have lived in


Warning:  This will load slowly as many links to Google Maps
Mum and I
Mildred Street, Quambatook

The very first home that I lived in was Mildred Street, Quambatook, Victoria, Australia.  My parents can not remember the address.  Mum told me that it was a "dump" and they soon moved out of it.  All food needed to be kept in plastic (Tupperware) containers but the mice still ate through them!


Could this be the same home?  The front door appears to be the same as in the picture to the right?  It is across the road from a lane way and there is a near identical house beside it, as my mother described.


View Larger Map

Click on the arrows in the top right hand corner to view a full screen picture of the homes.

1968 Electoral Roll excerpt.  Source: www.ancestry
Interesting to see that my parents were registered at different addresses.  Did they neglect to tell me something?
Or did Dad just forget to change his address on the electorall roll?

We soon moved to River Street, Quambatook, Victoria, Australia, where we only lived for a few months before Dad was transferred.  Mum described this as a very nice house and big.   I am very confident that I have located the correct house on Google Maps.  The house below is opposite the swimming pool and on the corner as my mother described.


View Larger Map

We soon moved from Quambatook to 94 Edgecombe Street, Kyneton.


View Larger Map

My sister and I
The backyard  of  Edgecombe Street, Kyneton - 1971
We then moved to 16 Barkly Street, Sale, in 1973, where we lived for about 18 months.

View Larger Map


1973
My sister, brother and I in the backyard at 16 Barkly Street, Sale.
I was wearing my Maypole dancing outfit that Mum made me.
 I learnt to tell left from right while learning Maypole Dancing.

Dad was promoted to his first Managerial appointment in 1974 so we moved again to 12 Tyers Street, Stratford, Victoria (now renumbered and no longer a bank).  We lived there for 9 years so I have many memories of the home.  It is such a shame to see how neglected it looks now.   Mum had a wonderful garden.  There were shrubs either side of the steps and footpath and gardens all along the front, around the house and fenceline (which I remember weeding for pocket money of 1 cent per minute).

Surprising, we have very few photos taken during our time in Stratford.  Mum was probably too busy with four children and Dad busy working.

View Larger Map

A floor plan of our home
I am surprised that I remember so many of the plants but there were many more.  There were gardens surrounding the
house and on the fence line.
In 1983, we moved to 63 Henry Street, Koo Wee Rup (corner of Henry and Salmon Street).

View Larger Map


My Grandmother in the back yard at
Koo Wee Rup. This is now another house.
In the photo on the left, taken in 1985, my grandmother is standing in the back yard, which was very large.  You can see that my mother had a large vegetable garden.

The property has now been subdivided and there is another house (visible on the right of the Google picture above), which is where the garage and back yard were when we lived there.

When I first moved out of home, I lived in a unit (bottom left in Google Map below) in Pakenham for a while, before moving to 3 Diane Close, Pakenham.  There is no image for Diane Close as all you can see are trees.


From Pakenham, I moved to Warragul and lived in Units in Albert Street for a short period of time.

View Larger Map

My husband (to be) and I moved into Unit 4, 11 Bowen Street, Warragul in 1988.  The Units were new and we were the first tenants.  You can see our prior unit at the bottom left of the picture below.

View Larger Map

From Warragul, we moved to Phillip Island, where we really enjoyed living and thought we would like to retire there one day.  However, we now feel it would not be warm enough for us.  Initially we lived at 22 Dover Street, Sunderland Bay (below).  It was a lovely little home when we lived there but it now appears that it is holiday house.  It was only about 200 metres from the house to the beach.  We loved going for walks along the beach after a storm but both our cars were very rusty as there was salt water spray on them most mornings.


View Larger Map

We were also the first tenants in Unit 4, 6 Park Street, Cowes (below), which is where we lived in 1991, when we were married. It seems that most of the units are holiday accommodation now. Further details can be found here.

View Larger Map

In 1992, we moved to Turnbull Street, Sale, where our daughter was born.  I didn't realise at the time that we were living around the corner from the house that I had lived in when I was a child (Barkly Street, Sale).

22 Turnbull street, Sale, Victoria:

View Larger Map

An then to 50 The Boulevard, Morwell

View Larger Map

The first home that we purchased and renovated was at 4 Alexander Avenue, Moe.  The gardens that we established at the front of the house are long gone as are the beautiful roses. Our son was born while we lived here.

View Larger Map

We then lived on 5 acres at 31 Turnbull Street, Traralgon (on the corner of Kings Way) for 5 years.

View Larger Map

In 2002, we moved North and rented the house below for 18 months until we built a home.


We have now lived here for 10 years.  The longest that either of us have lived at the one address but we are getting itchy feet......................

I wonder where we will live next?

Thank you Sepia Saturday for prompting me to record the homes where I have lived.
Unfortunately none of the homes are as grand as the prompt photo.

37 comments:

  1. Fantastic post!!! I wouldn't worry about the addresses on the electoral list, I had the same problem when researching my grandparents.
    Love the title "home duties".
    I may have to do a post like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie. Yes, Dad must have forgotten to change his address.

      Delete
  2. Wow, you are really right about the loading of this, but it's totally worth it. I thought about going to my past houses growing up, but they wouldn't have been anywhere near this interesting. Excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes sorry about that. I should have copied and inserted images rather than Google Map links/pictures.

      Thank you for reading.

      Delete
  3. Itchy feet, can't afford to do than here in the UK. I lived at five places. Two with my parenst and three with my wife. Been in this place nearly thirty years and spent more extending it than the place cost in the first place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot imagine 30 years in one place. I have no idea where I want to end up yet.

      Delete
  4. Well, you have me beat! I thought I'd lived in a lot of places, but you best me by two. From birth to the present I've lived in 12 different places - all houses/cottages/cabins except for my apartment when I moved out of the family home in '63. The longest time I was in one place was 28 1/2 years from April '82 - Oct. 7, 2010; the shortest was 6 months when we were renting an old (& I do mean OLD) 2-room school house that had been converted to a 5 bdrm, 2 bath house. It had huge tall windows & a kitchen that was so small we had to put our refrigerator out in the front hallway! I didn't especially like having to move all the time, but each new place was an interesting - even fun - challenge to decorate. I figure at this point I probably have one more move coming some day - to a senior type living arrangement. But I'm hoping that's a ways off yet! :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a child, I hated moving High School (as I was shy) and made a promise to myself that I wouldn't do that to my children, which is why we have been here for 10 years.

      Delete
  5. What a lot of moves you had! I especially liked your second home with the large veranda which has always appealed to me, but you never see them here, due to our weather I expect. I was amused by your comment on the large "back yard". . In Britain that generally means a small area at the back of a terraced house where dustbins and bikes were kept . and you had your washing line. I remember when I worked in the USA for a year being invited to a colleague's house with the promise we could sit outside In the "back yard" - and that did not appeal to me at all. Except it turned out to be a lovely garden with large lawn. Another example of differences in the language! .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That made me smile Sue. A small yard now appeals to me. We went from 5 acres to 1 acre but don't seem to have the time to maintain it.........so next we want a small yard that can be mowed and weeded within a couple of hours per week.

      Delete
  6. Wow, you have been on the move. Have you been able to save lots of family memorabilia as you move or have you been ruthless as you pack up each time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moving frequently resulted in many "clean ups" but I always retained the family memorabilia. When we built this house, I didn't think I would ever use all the storage...........but I was wrong!

      Delete
  7. A great post Sharon, I love the floor plan that you drew of your house in Stratford. I enjoyed reminiscing about some of the places I've lived when I did a similar post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was inspired by Kristin (Finding Eliza), who has done them in the past. I need to do the other homes too. So much to do...................

      Delete
  8. Lovely to see all these homes - I was just down in Phillip Island (in Cowes) but didn't know about your home there at the time. Thanks for sharing - you are such a good researcher Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen. We really enjoyed our time living at Phillip Island. It was a very joyous and memorable time.

      Delete
  9. I'm going to copy your idea of doing a house plan Sharon. Or, rather, house plans.
    Phew, you sure moved a lot. One day I'll write a blog about my Nan who moved many times in her life as well.
    This Sepia Saturday theme has emphasised the differences in architectural styles around the world and with your blog I'm back on familiar ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes firstly Dad's job, then mine, resulted in many moves.

      I feel that Australian Architecture is boring and dull compared to some of the overseas homes.

      Delete
  10. Enjoyed looking at all the pictures. I never thought to look through the census, then go to google and see what is situated at that particular address presently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also did that for the home in England of my Great Great Great Grandfather and then I wrote the resident (by snail mail), who promptly emailed me with a copy of the Title Papers and floor plan! I was so grateful.

      Delete
  11. I'm impressed with that house plan and that you remember the various flowers and bushes -- especially given the number of moves you have made. I created a gallery wall in our half-bath with photos of all the places my husband and I have lived. Before we bought our first house, he had lived in only ONE place before marriage, so he has only one contribution to the gallery. I lived in 4 different places. I don't think we'd have enough wall space for you - LOL. (Your mother was a champ to pack up and move as frequently as she did!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mum would wait until we were at school before packing and getting rid of our "junk" so we couldn't save it. The only thing that i remember her throwing out, which upset me greatly, was an icecream container of carefully collected agates. She thought they were "just stones"!

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. The internet is amazing! I don't know how we did it before!!!

      Delete
  13. There is no way we can match so many houses and we have been in our present house for over 20 years. I can't get a google view of our present house as the hedges and trees exclude a complete shot. You must have always been packing and unpacking as you moved home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky that there was only one house that I couldn't get a photo of because of trees.

      When we moved, there were always several boxes in the garage that would remain unpacked. When I would eventually get around to unpacking them I could just about guarantee that I would be told about a transfer to a new town within days! So now we have an unpacked box permanently in the garage.

      Delete
  14. I think I’ve had just about the same number of addresses Sharon (husband in the military) but it’s amazing that you have managed to track them all trough gooogle. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Phew! What a lot f homes you've lived in, and what a great record of them all. I've listed the placed I've lived in on my family tree notes, but finding and adding photos for them all would be a task and a half - you have inspired to tackle it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I didn't include the most important home................The Beach House that we went to every school holiday and many weekends no matter where we lived. A place of stability. Mum and Dad live their now so didn't think it was appropriate to include it.

      Delete
  16. That's an interesting idea. I hadn't thought of trying to visit my old houses through Google Earth. I looked several of them up long ago on satellite images, but driving by would be so much better. What fun for you to armchair visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, maybe when I am retired, I will need to holiday or take a drive to all the places and take photos myself.

      Delete
  17. Wow, I counted up the places in which I have lived -- including college housing -- and I come up with about half the number of your homes -- and me thinks its in nearly twice as many years. How different we all are -- and therein is the fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we still haven't decided where we want to settle!

      Delete
  18. My first thought was, wow, what a lot of houses. Then I counted mine and got to 19! So now I'm glad I didn't do a post like yours - it would have been way too long. Good to revisit by google maps though, might try that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the comment - the house was a dump - the house is number 7 Mildred Street Quambatook. I live in the big house next door. Great to see a bit of history. The nice big house however is not opposite the local pool - you may need to go a block over towards Kerang Road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to have you comment and tell me the number. Thank you.

      Sorry, I should clarify that the River Street house is diagonally opposite the pool (in not directly opposite).

      Delete